The Tavern in Raphoe County Donegal ireland for Sale.
The first historic reference was related to the 1100s based Cathedral across the street. it was renovated in the 1500s and this property was part of the Close, up against the defensive walls of the city. in late 1600s it was reinforced with more defensive walls (3 feet/1 meter thick), parts of which are still in the structure. it was added to and renovated to a 2.5 story Tavern with residence with i-Beam structure reinforcement and much of the structure maintained. it was allowed to fall into disrepair and turned into a derelict state. it was recently completely renovated and the entire upper floors have new Electrics, plumbing, floor/ceiling joists, new Victorian style stair, fireplace, insulation, rugs, and much much more. All the fixtures and doors are new (and sized for disability access), the kitchen appliances are new, no gas items installed for safety.
The Ground Floor is 2 rooms, (2/3 x 1/3) and still contains the old bar for the old tavern, however there is no tavern license anymore. There are 4 bathrooms and a reception room to the back and the L shaped Victorian style stairs. What used to be the ‘cold room’ is to the back left and goes to the old city wall.
The 1st Floor has a Reception done in a Victorian style and fireplace. There is a kitchen, Dining room, master bedroom with spacious bathroom (wired for a UV Sauna). There is a alcove with entry to the 2nd floor. The 2nd Floor is 2 bedrooms and a bathroom between them. There is a parking area to the front that can support 3 vehicles comfortably
About the Area
Raphoe is one of the five heritage towns in Donegal. it is also known by its irish name Rath Bhoth which means ‘Ringfort of the Huts’. The name is believed to have come from the huts that were built on the monastic settlement by St. Colmcille. (550AD). Raphoe is situated in the rich and fertile land of Laggan Valley near the Deele River.
The town of Raphoe is a typical 17th Century plantation town, the old market place centre which is called ‘The Diamond’. There are many architectural gems located in and around the town including the Masonic Hall (1900), The Second Raphoe Presbyterian Church (1860), and indeed the Diamond itself is bordered by many fine Georgian Houses particularly on the west side.
The shell of Raphoe Castle, dating from 1630, was once used as the Bishop’s Palace, and stands just outside the town itself. This castle is one of the most significant castles in the county and has suffered numerous attacks throughout the ages, from Cromwell in 1650 to the United irishmen in 1798. Despite its many battles and sieges, Raphoe still remains prosperous today as a market town. The Royal and Prior School (1737), is still a busy educational establishment, upholding the Protestant ethos of the area.
Another of Raphoe’s treasures, just a half mile outside the town, is Beltony Stone Circle, one of the finest stone circles in ireland. This National Monument site, consisting of 64 large standing stones, dates back to pre Christian times.
* Popular Pub within the local area.
* Run as a thriving business for many years the new owner could apply for a new licence.
* Private Car Parking
* 3 bedrooms for living on site
* 6 bathroom
* 135m2 of living space
* 1100m2 plot
Sell Property in Ireland Fast Online